04 October 2007

10 Ten Things I Miss About High School

OK…we have all been there; high school was never easy on any of us. I get to go back in time next weekend to my Brookhaven High School 20th Reunion – Go Panthers!! It got me to thinking ...what I really miss about high school compared to being an adult. Hope you enjoy….and feel free to add yours to the comments.


10 Ten Things I Miss About High School

10.) Pep Rallies – Where else can you go and yell at other people as loud as you want and be rewarded with a spirit stick? This just does not happen in the real world unless you work for Wal-Mart.

9.) Learning for Free - You got to learn lots of cool stuff and you didn’t have to pay for it. Yes, at the time you though school sucked. But, if I want to take German or learn to play the flute now they charge me big bucks – unless…. I steal my kid’s textbooks. But, what fun is that – no passing notes.

8.) The Drama – and I don’t mean the School Play -- Being in high school is better than any soap opera – you are livin’ it up in drama. Who did what to who where? Maybe that is why I went into journalism. Drama as an adult will usually just get you fired or on You Tube.

7.) The Glory Days of Summer – When the only care you had in the world is laying out in the sun, tubing the Bogue Chitto River and hanging out with your friends. The only thing you worried about was when Top Gun was going to show at the local movies. Summer now are just like any other day – I work, take kids to summer camp, go to sleep and do it all over again.

6.) Your Friends – Everyday was Girls Night Out -- Remember when your friends were your whole life – you talked to them for hours on the phone, spent days and days doing fun stuff together. Remember slam books? I guess that is My Space now. These days I am lucky I get to do a pedicure with a friend once every six months.

5.) Dancing – We danced in high school – slow dancing, fast dancing – after football games, in the spring, just for the hell of it – I mean the 80’s was the best time for music. :) The last time I danced…my wedding. One song- two minutes…tops!

4.) Driving for Fun – I didn’t care that my car was a yellow station wagon – I had wheels and gas was 99 cents. I could cruise Brookway Blvd. for hours with my friends and find simple pleasure in that. Now, I hate driving – the traffic, the auguring kids in the backseat, $3 for gas – kind of takes the fun out of it.

3.) No Internet, No Cell Phones, No Xbox 360 – I love my technology but there was life before IM and Google. Sometime it was nice not being able to be found. And, I thought Atari and Pac Man were the greatest inventions ever. Now my kids don’t even have to go to the library or use an encyclopedia – it is all there with the touch of mouse. And if I want to find them -- GPS on those cell phones. :)

2.) No Bills! – I mean that what we had parents for – they paid for everything – gas, clothes, a field trip to D.C. – that was the life – we just didn’t know it then. Any money back then I made all was spent on me, me, me. Now, I have to be all responsible and stuff. :)

1.) Making Out - Kissing is one of life's most innocent guilty pleasures – who does not remember playing Seven Minutes in Heaven and Spin the Bottle. (And don’t worry parents of mine– I was a “good girl” in high school) Back then, I had time to have a make-out session - no one knocked on the door or yelled Mom. Now, I cannot remember the last time had a French kiss lasting longer than 3 seconds. I mean sex is great but don’t you ever miss the fun in making out in a dark closet somewhere? :)

No comments: