31 July 2007

Back to being a mommy

The Katy and Gabe come back Saturday. Yeah ! It has been a nice break but I am ready to be a full-time Mom again. I always miss them when they are at their Dad's but this summer has been harder than usually. I guess with Emily's death it just has made me a little more on edge about having them so far away.

They will start day camp on Monday and I promised them we are going to check out every pool in Reston during the rest of the summer. :) Katy is going to be taking a month of swim lesson so she can get ready to be on the winter swim team at the Y. Adam starts college August 22nd !! Seems hard to believe that he is starting that journey of his life.

And now that they will be back I will finally have an excuse to see the Harry Potter movie. And I have crazily agreed to get them hamsters -- we are taking one off a friends litter.

This is the one of the many reasons I love having kids -- I get to do all the fun kid stuff and just say I am tagging along -- but secretly it is fun being a little bit of a kid again. I love the silliness and the laughter of them and being able to be as silly as they are.

So many adults are pissed off all the time over the stupidest stuff -- and yes I do get mad at times -- do we all -- but it is such a waste of time and energy to spend the precious moments of life being angry.

If anything Emily's death has brought home to me once again is that there is only one life to live - I choose to live mine the happiest I can. I am going to try not to worry or be angry. I am going to look at the my husband and children and tell them each day that I love them. I am going to let my parents know once again how much I appreciate the life and love they gave me. I am going to teach my children not to be afraid to live -- to try new things and be glad that God has given us so many, many blessings.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. " - Mark Twain

Or as 85-year Nadine Stair old says:

If I Had My Life to Live Over


I'd dare to make more mistakes next time.
I'd relax. I would limber up.
I would be sillier than I have been this trip.
I would take fewer things seriously.
I would take more chances.
I would take more trips.
I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers.
I would eat more ice cream and less beans.

I would perhaps have more actual troubles but I'd
have fewer imaginary ones.

You see, I'm one of those people who live sensibly
and sanely hour after hour, day after day.

Oh, I've had my moments and if I had it to do over
again, I'd have more of them. In fact,
I'd try to have nothing else. Just moments.

One after another, instead of living so many
years ahead of each day.

I've been one of those people who never go anywhere
without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a raincoat
and a parachute.

If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot
earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall.

If I had it to do again, I would travel lighter next time.
I would go to more dances.
I would ride more merry-go-rounds.
I would pick more daisies.

No comments: