19 March 2007

Iraq war ...4 year later...

My friend Jill sent this to me today and I want to post it for all to read. No matter if you are for the war or against the war I think the author of this op-ed piece gives us all room to think.

Why aren't the Bush daughters in Iraq ?

When I was working for President Bush as a photo editor I came to hate photo editing his trips to Walter Reed Medical Center. Photo after photo there would be injured soldiers with blank looks on their faces, no idea who President Bush or anyone was for that matter. The President and Mrs. Bush would stand there, smile and solders without arms, legs, eyes would shake his hand. It was one of the saddest damn things I have ever edited. I hated it. Often during this process I would lock the office door and just cry while editing.

In less than two months my son will be 18. He could go and fight for this country if he wanted. But, I caution him in making that decision because sometimes I wonder what we are fighting for. Is it for freedom or peace or are we just in the middle of a civil war ? I have to admit I support the troops but I do not want my child coming home without a leg, arm or not at all.

I explained to Adam that many, many times it is the innocent that die in the war. In Iraq, Civilian deaths are rarely counted but make up a large majority of the causalities of this war. Yes, many people died on 9/11, but does that justify the taking of far more lives in civilian and soilders deaths ? It has been for 4 years since we enter the war on Iraq. So much has changed since then in my life and in the world. But, the question remains the same ....what are we fighting for ? What are we dying for ?

Just questions to ponder....

No comments: